Friday, July 10, 2009

Who Do You Take At 2?


It's Friday. It's the summer. It's FANTASY FOOTBALL FRIDAY!!! Like it or not, your drafts are creeping up on you and will be here in no time. Now don't panic, your team is going to suck if you start doing your homework now or if you wait until an hour before the draft starts. But your boyfriend, G$, has no problem dropping pointers to those that want to learn. And if you don't want to learn, you are probably retarded or from the deep south.

Last year about this time, I discussed how much I hated picking between 4 and 6. You don't get value there. Everyone available at that slot has HUGE red flags. You end up wasting that pick on Frank fucking Gore or some shit. Well, this issue has moved up the board this year...in a big fucking way. Allow me to explain:

Can we all agree that Adrian Peterson will go first overall in every draft this year? If he doesn't, you need new friends. Let's say that I get the normally sweet break of having the #2 pick. I've done my research. I've looked at strength of schedules. I've eliminated anyone who has ever played for the Browns, Cowboys, or Bengals. I'm on the clock and the commish wants my pick.

What the fuck do I do now? There is NO clear cut #2 pick this year. After All Day, there isn't a guy who is guaranteed to be a top 5er. Having a pick in the first half of your draft this year will fucking blow. The position of power will be at the back end of the first round. Trust me. Let's take a look at who could conceivably go second next month:

DeAngelo Williams - Do you really trust this guy enough to rest the hopes of your team on him? His QB is awful and they didn't draft Jonathan Stewart to sit him. If he scores ten td's this year, I will be impressed.
Michael Turner - Were the Falcons a fluke or are they really that good? You could definitely see this team not catching any breaks and ending up 5-11. Was Turner also a fluke?
Brandon Jacobs - Sure, he's a beast but he ALWAYS gets hurt.
Matt Forte - Cutler will make him even better but it's still a stretch to go this high on a second year RB.
Steven Jackson - This guy sucks.
Brian Westbrook - He is turning 30 and the Eagles just drafted a running back to take some carries away.
Jamal Lewis - Just checking to see if you are still with me.
Drew Brees - Yeah, he's probably the safest pick here but you don't really want to take a QB second, do you?

See? It's a total crapshoot at #2. For once, you want no part of picking high in the first round. You want the sandwich picks at the end where you can wind up with MoJo Drew and Chris Johnson tearing up the fucking world for you. There. There is your weekly fantasy football advice...picking second really fucking sucks. Who does #2 work for? See you all on Monday.

9 comments:

rstiles said...

You hit it right on the head....the #2 pick is tough...

Forte is the "hot name" this year, but the fact is, he has not proven himself yet...he had a solid rookie season, but maybe this fucker will have a soph slump...

Brees is a safe pick...but you can easily wait until the second or third round and get a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Jay Cutler, or Kur Warner who all could put up 30+ TDs...

This is a reach - but you have to consider MJD - Jones-Drew is a half pint, but the fact is he is the man down there...with Taylor gone, MJD will get all the touches and he proved a few years back that he can score...plus the midget is fast as fuck...

Shit, I have my own worries - I have the 5th pick in an 8 team league...

Anonymous said...

I guess it depends on your points in the league. In one of mine I would take a wide receiver, a possible fitzgerald or someone of that caliber.

Naptown wolverine

GMoney said...

I like MoJo this year. Hell, the Jags spent their first two pick on O-linemen.

"Points Per Reception" leagues are for fags. A WR isn't worth a top 5 pick. But Fitzgerald should start being considered at 6.

J Beanie said...

What a great advice column! Way to give us some real insight and idea with what to do with that #2 pick. You are full of wonderful fantasy football wisdom.

Dustin said...

I'm prepared to drop 173 dollars on all day and then dollar out!

GMoney said...

Beanie, I guess if I had to pick, I would take Burner Turner at 2 and pray that the Falcons weren't lucky last year.

GMoney said...

And I got to use a picture of "#2"...that made this post great.

Mr. Ace said...

My first choice at number two would be michael turner. There are some rumblings that Tony Gonzalez is expected to block more than he ever has so it still appears Turner will be a work horse.

For some reason, I really want to buy into Steven Jackson this year. I'm not going to take him this early though, because the only other player on their offense I can name is Bulger.

I love me some Brandon Jacobs and would love to pick him up. But he is injury prone and he has to play in the NFC EAST, aka the Best Division in Sports. Every defense in the east is tough so there are at least six potential games for him to get shut down.

I like the MJD pick. They also went out and stole Tra Thomas from my Eagles to improve their o-line.

Westbrook for MVP.

Dustin said...

The east is a bunch of average joes. The only reason those defenses look so good is because the offense sucks!